Conditions of Use
Eisai Inc. provides this site for your personal information. You may browse or download content on this site for your personal, non-commercial use only, but thereafter such content may not be recopied, reproduced or otherwise redistributed or used. The content of this site is owned or controlled by Eisai Inc. and is protected under applicable copyright and trademark laws. All copyright and other proprietary notices contained in downloaded materials must be retained. Through your access to and use of this site, you accept, without limitation or qualification, all terms and conditions of use described throughout this site.
Although it is accessible worldwide, this site and its content are intended only for residents of the United States. Nothing in this site should be interpreted as a promotion or solicitation for any product or of any nature that is not authorized by the laws and regulations of the country where you are located.
This site may contain information relating to various medical conditions and their treatment. Such information is provided for educational purposes only and is not meant to be a substitute for the advice of a physician or other healthcare professional. You should not use this information for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. In order for you to make intelligent healthcare decisions, you should always consult with your physician or other healthcare provider for your personal medical needs.
Some areas of this site may ask you to submit personally identifiable information in order for you to benefit from the specified features (such as newsletter subscriptions, tips/pointers, order processing, or resume submission) or to participate in a particular activity (such as sweepstakes or other promotions). You will be informed what information is required and what information is optional.
Under no circumstances should you use this site or any of the fax or mailing addresses listed on this site to send Eisai Inc. confidential or proprietary information. Your unsolicited communications to us, including any ideas, inventions, concepts, techniques, know-how, proposals, data, questions, comments or similar such materials and information, other than the personal information described above, will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary information. Eisai reserve the right to use any such communications, including without limitation any ideas, inventions, concepts, know-how, processes or techniques disclosed therein for any purpose whatsoever, including by reproducing, disclosing and distributing such information or otherwise using such information in connection with the development, manufacture and marketing of products or services. You shall be responsible for the content and information contained in any communications sent or submitted by you to this site or otherwise to the owners of this site, including for the truthfulness and accuracy of such content and information.
Links to Other Sites
As a convenience, from time to time www.EisaiReimbursement.com may contain certain links or references to other sites that we think may be useful or of interest to you. Eisai does not control, endorses, promote or has any affiliation with any other site unless expressly stated herein or on such site. The owners of this site therefore have no responsibility for the content, accuracy or any other aspect of the information contained on such linked sites. Eisai will not be liable for any damages or injury arising from your access to such sites or content. The trademarks, service marks, trade names, trade dress and products in this site are protected in the United States and internationally. Nothing contained in this site shall be construed as conferring on you any license or right under any copyright, patent, trademark or trade name or under any other proprietary rights of Eisai Inc. or any third party, whether by implication, estoppel or otherwise. No use may be made by you of any of these without the prior written authorization of the owners of this site or of the respective proprietary rights, as applicable, except to identify products or services of the owners.
Eisai does not make any representations or warranties as to the timeliness, availability, accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this site. Like any printed materials, the information provided in this site may become outdated over time. Eisai undertake no obligation to correct or update any content or information on this site. Eisai may make improvements and/or changes in the products and/or services described in this content and information at any time without notice and reserve the right to alter or delete content and information in the site at any time. All information on this site is provided "AS IS," without any warranties, including but not limited to IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, ALL OF WHICH ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. All visitors to www.EisaiReimbursement.com agree that all access to and use of this site and its content are at their own risk. None of Eisai any affiliate of either of them, or any party involved in creating, producing or delivering this site will be liable for any injury or any direct, indirect, special, exemplary, incidental, consequential, punitive or other damages arising out of access to, use of or inability to use www.EisaiReimbursement.com or any errors or omissions in the content thereof or from reliance on any information on this site, even if Eisai is informed of the possibility of such damages.
All product names, trademarks, logos and service marks (collectively referred to as "Trademarks") displayed on this site are the property of Eisai their respective affiliates, related companies, licensors or business partners. The use or misuse of these Trademarks or any other materials, except as permitted herein, is expressly prohibited and may be in violation of the laws of copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, slander, libel and communications. Please be advised that each of Eisai (and their respective affiliates) actively and aggressively enforces its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law.
Images of people or places displayed on this site are either the property of, or used with permission by, Eisai. The use of these images by you is prohibited unless specifically permitted by the terms and conditions of this site. Unauthorized use of the images may violate the laws of copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity and communications.
FRAGMIN® is a low molecular weight heparin (LMWH) indicated for:
- Prophylaxis of ischemic complications of unstable angina and non-Q-wave myocardial infarction
- Prophylaxis of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in abdominal surgery, hip replacement surgery or medical patients with severely restricted mobility during acute illness
- Extended treatment of symptomatic venous thromboembolism (VTE) to reduce the recurrence in patients with cancer. In these patients, the FRAGMIN® therapy begins with the initial VTE treatment and continues for six months.
Limitations of Use
- FRAGMIN® is not indicated for the acute treatment of VTE.
Important Safety Information
Epidural or spinal hematomas may occur in patients who are anticoagulated with low molecular weight heparins (LMWH) or heparinoids and are receiving neuraxial anesthesia or undergoing spinal puncture. These hematomas may result in long-term or permanent paralysis. Consider these risks when scheduling patients for spinal procedures. Factors that can increase the risk of developing epidural or spinal hematomas in these patients include:
- Use of indwelling epidural catheters
- Concomitant use of other drugs that affect hemostasis, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), platelet inhibitors, other anticoagulants
- A history of traumatic or repeated epidural or spinal punctures
- A history of spinal deformity or spinal surgery
Monitor patients frequently for signs and symptoms of neurological impairment. If neurological compromise is noted, urgent treatment is necessary.
Consider the benefits and risks before neuraxial intervention in patients anticoagulated or to be anticoagulated for thromboprophylaxis [see Warnings and Precautions and Drug Interactions].
- FRAGMIN® is contraindicated in patients with active major bleeding, history of heparin induced thrombocytopenia, hypersensitivity to dalteparin sodium, heparin, or pork products.
- FRAGMIN® is contraindicated in patients undergoing epidural/neuraxial anesthesia as a treatment for unstable angina and non-Q-wave MI and for prolonged VTE prophylaxis due to an increased risk of bleeding associated with the dosage of FRAGMIN® recommended for these indications.
- FRAGMIN®, like other anticoagulants, should be used with extreme caution in patients who have an increased risk of hemorrhage; bleeding can occur at any site during therapy. An unexpected drop in hematocrit or blood pressure should lead to a search for a bleeding site.
- FRAGMIN® should be used with caution in patients with bleeding diathesis, thrombocytopenia or platelet defects, severe liver or kidney insufficiency, hypertensive or diabetic retinopathy, and recent gastrointestinal bleeding.
- FRAGMIN® should be used with extreme caution in patients
with history of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia.
- In FRAGMIN® clinical trials supporting non-cancer indications, platelet count of <50,000/mm3 occurred in <1% of patients.
- In FRAGMIN® clinical trials supporting the extended treatment of symptomatic VTE in patients with cancer, platelet counts of <100,000/mm3 occurred in 13.6% of patients, including 6.5% who also had platelet counts less than 50,000/mm3. In the same clinical trial, thrombocytopenia was reported as an adverse event in 10.9% of patients in the FRAGMIN® arm and 8.1% of patients in the oral anticoagulant arm. FRAGMIN® dose was decreased or interrupted in patients whose platelet counts fell below 100,000/mm3.
- Thrombocytopenia of any degree should be monitored closely. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia can occur with administration of FRAGMIN®. The incidence of this complication is unknown at present. In clinical practice, rare cases of thrombocytopenia with thrombosis have also been observed.
- Each multiple-dose vial of FRAGMIN® contains benzyl alcohol as a preservative. Benzyl alcohol has been reported to be associated with a fatal "Gasping Syndrome" in premature infants. Because benzyl alcohol may cross the placenta, use caution when administering FRAGMIN® preserved with benzyl alcohol to pregnant women. If anticoagulation with FRAGMIN® is needed during pregnancy, use preservative-free formulations, where possible.
- Periodic routine complete blood counts, including platelet count, blood chemistry, and stool occult blood tests are recommended during the course of treatment with FRAGMIN®.
- The most commonly reported side effect is hematoma at the injection site.
- Allergic reactions (i.e., pruritus, rash, fever, injection site reaction, bulleous eruption) have occurred. A few cases of anaphylactoid reactions have been reported.
- Use FRAGMIN® with care in patients receiving oral anticoagulants, platelet inhibitors, and thrombolytic agents because of increased risk of bleeding.
- FRAGMIN® cannot be used interchangeably (unit for unit) with unfractionated heparin or other low molecular weight heparins.
- FRAGMIN® Injection is not intended for intramuscular administration.
For more information about FRAGMIN, please see Full Product Information.