Eisai is committed to supporting patient access by helping with your reimbursement questions. With this in mind, the ALOXI® (palonosetron HCI injection) Reimbursement site has been designed to provide healthcare professionals with information related to the insurance reimbursement environment for ALOXI®.
Indication in Adults
ALOXI® injection 0.25 mg is indicated in adults for the prevention of acute and delayed nausea and vomiting associated with initial and repeat courses of moderately emetogenic chemotherapy, and the prevention of acute nausea and vomiting associated with initial and repeat courses of highly emetogenic chemotherapy.
Indication in Pediatrics
ALOXI® injection 20mcg/kg (max 1.5mg) is indicated in patients ≥ 1 month up to 17 years of age, for the prevention of acute nausea and vomiting associated with initial and repeat courses of emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, including highly emetogenic chemotherapy.
Important Safety Information:
- ALOXI® is contraindicated in patients known to have hypersensitivity to the drug or any of its components
Warnings and Precautions
- Hypersensitivity reactions, including anaphylaxis, have been reported with or without known hypersensitivity to other 5-HT3 receptor antagonists
- Serotonin syndrome has been reported with 5-HT3 receptor antagonists alone, but particularly with the use of serotonergic drugs. Serotonin syndrome can be life threatening. Symptoms may include the following combination of signs and symptoms: mental status changes, autonomic instability, neuromuscular symptoms, seizures, and gastrointestinal symptoms. Patients should be monitored for the emergence of serotonin syndrome, and if symptoms occur, discontinue ALOXI® and initiate supportive treatment. Patients should be informed of the increased risk of serotonin syndrome, especially if ALOXI® is used concomitantly with other serotonergic drugs.
- In pediatric patients, while they require a higher dose of palonosetron, the safety profile is consistent with the established profile in adults; however, adverse reactions were reported in < 0.1% of pediatric patients
- In adults, the most commonly reported adverse drug reactions include headache (9%) and constipation (5%)
For more information about ALOXI®, please see full Prescribing Information.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit http://www.FDA.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.